Welcome to Mistik Acres.

We hope you are able to form a connection with us, and the products we grow and produce on the land we live and work with.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Reflection of the past growing season.

As I write this blog post on the last day of September I find myself reflecting on another growing season that has come to an end, even though the weather feels like summer.  In terms of weather I think this past summer has been one of the best in the last seven years we have been tending to the gardens.  One thing I really noticed this year was the lack of wind.  Most years we usually have lots and lots of days with strong winds, whereby this year has been relatively calm most of the time.  The rains came at the right times and all in all it was a very productive year.  It was a year of a few firsts for us...first year we made large quantities of flower bouquets for sales at the Farmer's Market, which was a huge success.  We would set up Sat morning with a large number of bouquets already made and they would disappear very quickly, so I found myself making bouquets throughout the entire day, so there would be lots of selection for our customers to choose from.  It was the first time we had a picture published in the Western Producer, of our flower display at the Saskatoon Farmer's Market.  Thanks again Mickey.  The picture included in today's blog was also taken by Mickey.
This year was a record year for the amount of weddings we supplied flowers.  They all varied in the quantity and type etc, but we received great feedback from them all.  The following quote is from Krista, whom was married in Regina at the beginning of September.  We created thirty nine centrepieces for their wedding.

"I know I've already thanked you, but I wanted to let you know that the feedback we received on your flowers was out of this world. People couldnt say enough and were fighting to take them home at the end! I've had several friends post pictures on facebook labeling them the "prettiest flowers in the world".  They really added to our already perfect day! My aunt even brought some home to my Grandma in Nova Scotia who is quite sick...on Monday...and said they lasted beautifully and totally brightened her day!" Krista


Another first, we had a bumper crop of Saskatoon berries from a natural stand of berry bushes beside our house.  This year was also a record year for raspberry production, and we will be selling frozen raspberries this fall at the Saskatoon Farmer's Market.  

We are looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment